Up to a third of American adults now avoid gluten and numbers in Britain are on the rise. To help you make good choices and maintain a balanced diet, we thought we’d share what we know about gluten and how much of it is in our almond drinks.
What is gluten?
Gluten is a mixture of two proteins that are found in cereal grains like wheat and they are the reason dough has its elastic texture.
What does gluten-free mean?
Only foods that include 20 parts per million (ppm) or less can be categorised as gluten free. An amount this tiny isn’t toxic to people with conditions like coeliac disease (an auto immune disease where the body reacts badly to gluten).
So is almond milk gluten free?
If you like almond milk and aren’t a fan of gluten, then we’ve got good news…our Almond Breeze® is gluten-free (containing less than 20ppm of gluten). This is even better news for those that suffer with celiac disease or non-celiac gluten sensitivity, as side effect of this is they are often also lactose intolerant. This is due to the loss of lactase, an enzyme that digests milk sugar along the lining of the small intestine.
Pasta, bread, crackers most baked goods, cereal and granola all contain gluten, but that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy these foods in your diet. There are now lots of gluten-free alternatives available in most supermarkets and health food stores. Or even better, it’s your excuse to get creative in the kitchen, that way you can really be sure of what’s going into the food you’re eating.
Gluten free recipes
1. Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins: Lemon zest and melted coconut oil come together beautifully with honey and poppy seeds to make these delicious gluten-free treats.
2. No-Bake Chocolate Brownies: Moist, fudgy and deliciously gooey, our easy no bake recipe can be ready in minutes.
3. Almond Butter Blondies: Crunchy on the top, soft and sweet in the centre and chocolate chips in every bite (just make sure you choose a dairy-free variety).
4. Carrot Cake: Make your afternoon tea extra special with our scrumptiously good cake, made with cinnamon icing and decorated with honey roasted almonds.
5. Almond, Choc Chip and Ginger Oat Cookies: Our light and sweet cookies are bursting with wonderfully warm spices thanks to all the soft and chewy ginger inside.
Information from Goodness+ is not intended to be used for medical purposes or as a substitute for professional medical or health advice.